Saturday, August 9, 2014

new words

This months book club selection was up to me. I had a book picked out but after a chance meeting in a coffee shop with a stranger I choose The Night Circus instead. 



I decided that this time I would look up every word I didn't know instead of skimming over it - skimming has become my terrible, terrible habit. Usually I use the surrounding sentences or whatever knowledge of etymology I possess to derive the meaning of an unknown word. But that feels so lazy when I own a smart phone...

Below are the words I had to look up. Some are so beautiful and have become new favorites. Some blogger won't even recognize as words. It keeps underlining them angrily. (Click to view the definitions).

Incendiary

Do you have favorite words? Do you ever realize you've been using a word wrong -- for years?

No comments:

Post a Comment