Thursday, August 27, 2015

academia

Starting school in August is comforting to me. It feels like a worn quilt; softened with age and love. A patchwork quilt for wrapping up by campfires or next to a lamp for late night reading. Familiarity. I belong in academia.

The beginning of school has always heralded my favorite part of the year; crisp, cozy, spicy fall! That's part of what gets me excited. The other part is the indulgence, the privilege of learning. I've wanted to return to school and finish my degree for years. It's strange to finally be here doing what I've hoped to.

I do miss the bustle of being on campus. Helping freshmen figure things out, greeting old friends and  planning adventures. That may return one day. But for now I'll sit here happily surrounded by books, papers and cats - barely believing I'm not dreaming.



No comments:

Post a Comment